Hand and wrist pain is becoming increasingly common with the amount of time most people spend on phones or computers. Whether your work requires frequent technology use or is a hands-on labor job, wrist pain prevention could be an important tool for you. It is important to focus on joint longevity to ensure you are able to do the things you love as you age.
What Causes Wrist Pain?
Tendonitis or carpal tunnel in the hand or wrist can cause pain and stiffness in the joint. Knowing what is causing your pain can help you know how to treat it. Our orthopedic doctors specialize in the hand, wrist, and upper extremities. This means they have chosen to focus on your specific injury for their career, and are passionate about helping people with wrist pain.
What is Carpal Tunnel?
Carpal Tunnel refers to a pinched nerve in the wrist that can cause a tingling sensation in the hand and/or arm. Treatment options include self-care with ice or a brace, physical therapy, or surgery in severe cases.
Carpal Tunnel Prevention:
There is no real way to prevent carpal tunnel from occurring, but you can focus on minimizing stress in the hands by loosening your grip, taking breaks from writing or typing, and doing carpal tunnel prevention exercises!
Wrist Pain Prevention Tips
Incorporate Ergonomics into the Workplace
Ergonomics refers to the study of the work environment, specifically, ways to make it more efficient psychologically and physically. Certain products like a standing desk, ergonomic mouse, etc can help prevent long-term damage or pain that would cause the employee to miss out on work or not be as efficient in their work.
Here are some examples of ergonomic strategies or products to use to prevent hand or wrist pain:
- Ergonomic Mouse
- Keeping your elbow and wrist level when typing or writing
- Standing Desk- try standing every 30 minutes
- Wrist cushion for mouse
- Keeping your feet flat on the floor
Stay Healthy and Hydrated
Having a healthy diet and staying hydrated helps keep joints happy and prevents muscle fatigue. A diet full of protein, fiber, and healthy fats has been shown to healthy joint longevity in those with carpal tunnel or wrist arthritis.
Exercises and Stretches for Wrist Pain Prevention:
1. Thumb to Pinky Stretch- touch your thumb to your pinky and hold for up to 10 seconds then release. Repeat this up to 5 times per hand.
2. While sitting at your desk, place your palms up under a table. Press upward against the bottom of the desk and hold for up to 10 seconds.
3. Wrist Rotation- rotate your wrists clockwise then counterclockwise up to 10 times per hand.
4. Tennis Ball Squeeze- squeeze a tennis ball firmly for up to 10 seconds repeating up to 5 times. Remember, this should not cause pain. If it is, consult with your doctor as your pain may be a result of an injury.
If you already suffer from wrist pain, it is important to consult with your doctor before your symptoms worsen. Our orthopedic surgeons specialize in the hand and upper extremities, and are here to help you get on the right track to a full recovery! You do not have to suffer from wrist pain for long. We offer both noninvasive procedures as well as surgery if needed. Call our office at 615.324.1600 to schedule an appointment with a hand doctor near you. You can see our orthopedic hand doctors here.