Patient Collections Specialist
Perform in-house collection duties for overdue patient account balances.
• High school diploma required
• College education or trade school preferred
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Experience working in a physician office or hospital billing-type position
• Proven record of discussing financial responsibilities and establishing payment plans when necessary
• Comfortable using email and interacting with Internet applications
• Knowledge of practice management and word processing software
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Neat, professional appearance
• Basic knowledge of CPT and ICD-10-CM coding for Orthopaedic surgery
• Working knowledge of managed care, commercial insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid reimbursement
• Proven understanding of Explanation of Benefits forms, claim forms and the insurance billing process
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Primary Daily Duties
• Review/document collection notes in patient accounts.
• Contact patients with outstanding balances and send communications as
Evaluate delinquent patient accounts for submittal to 3rd party collections.
• Use the computer system’s Collection Module to track activity with
patients and establish payment plans within approved guidelines.
• Administer “payment plan” process.
• Promotes the company website and patient link resources on the
company website by communicating to patients that they can pay their bill
• Other miscellaneous tasks as delegated by Billing Manager.
• Maintains patient confidentiality; complies with HIPAA and compliance
guidelines established by the practice
• Maintains detailed knowledge of practice management and other
computer software as it relates to job functions
• Attends regular staff meetings as scheduled
• Attends AAOS, Medicare, and other continuing education sessions as
• Performs any additional duties as requested by the Manager
• Email signature to read title as “Patient Account Specialist”
Typical Physical Demands
Work may require sitting for long periods of time, and also stooping, bending and stretching for files and supplies. Employee will occasionally be asked to lift files or paper weighing up to 30 pounds. Position requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, operate a computer, telephone, copier, and such other office equipment as necessary. Vision must be correctable to 20/20 and hearing must be in the normal range for telephone contacts. Position also requires viewing computer screens and typing for long periods of time, and working in an environment which can be very stressful.