Thomas T. Dovan, MD
Washington University Medical Center, St. Louis, Missouri (8/02-7/03).
Fellowship: Hand, Shoulder, and Upper Extremity Surgery
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee (7/97-7/02).
Internship, General Surgery, 7/97-6/98
Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, 7/98-6/02
Administrative Chief Resident, 7/01-6/02
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia (7/93-5/97).
Alpha Omega Alpha (National medical honor society) member
Medical School Offices
Class Officer: Treasurer, 1993-94
Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey (9/91-5/92).
Post-baccalaureate pre-medical studies.
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, New Jersey (9/85-5/90).
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, 1990.
- Tau Beta Pi (National Engineering Honor Society):
- Corresponding Secretary.
- Omicron Delta Kappa (National Leadership Honor Society)
- Phi Eta Sigma (National Freshman Honor Society).
- Scholar Athlete Honor Roll
- Varsity Ski Team: Captain.
- Tau Lambda Chi Fraternity:
Interfraternity Council: Representative.
Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Certification of Added Qualifications in Surgery of the Hand
2007-Present Elite Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center, PLC (Nashville, TN)
8/2003- 5/2007 Rome Orthopaedic Clinic (Rome, GA)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Vanderbilt Medical Alumni Board
- Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Society: Vice President
- Prospective Clinical Trials Committee, American Society for Surgery of the Hand (2005-present
- Program Committee, 2007 Annual meeting, American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Golfarb CA, Dovan TT. Rheumatoid arthritis: silicone metacarpophalangeal joint arthroplasty indications, technique, and outcomes. Hand Clinics. May;22(2):177-82:2006
- Silva MJ, Thomopoulos S, Kusano N, Zaegel MA, Harwood FL, Matsuzaki H, Havlioglu N, Dovan TT, Amiel D, Gelberman RH. Early healing of flexor tendon insertion site injuries: Tunnel repair is mechanically and histologically inferior to surface repair in a canine model. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Vol 24(5):990-1000:2006
- Dovan TT, Ritty T, Ditsios K, Silva MJ, Kusano N, Gelberman RH: Flexor digitorum profundus tendon to bone tunnel repair. A vascularization and histologic study in canines. Journal of Hand Surgery, Vol 30(2), 246-257:2005
- Dovan TT, Gelberman RH, Kusano N, Calcaterra M, Silva M: Zone I flexor digitorum profundus repair. An ex vivo biomechanical analysis of tendon to bone repair in cadavera. Journal of Hand Surgery, Vol 30(2), 258-266:2005
- Holt GE, Halpern JL, Dovan TT, Hamming D, Schwartz HS: Evolution of an in vivo bioreactor. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Vol 23(4):916-23:2004
- Dovan TT, Gelberman RH, and Cooney WP. Carpal Instability. In: Hand Surgery Update 3; 2003 Editor: Trumble.
- Dovan TT, Ditsios K, and Boyer MI: Eight-strand core suture technique for repair of intrasynovial flexor tendon lacerations. Techniques in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, June 2003.
- Spindler KP, Dovan TT, McCarty EC: Assessment and management of the painful shoulder. Clinical Cornerstone, Sports Medicine, Vol 3(5), 26-34:2001.
- Mangone P, Dovan TT, Seiler J: Fractures and dislocations of the elbow. In: Baratz M, Watson A, Imbriglia J, eds. Orthopaedic Surgery the Essentials, New York: Thieme, 1999: 327-47.
- Dovan TT, Zimmerman MC, Bednarz P, Alexander N, Deehan M. Effects of pulsed electromagnetic fields on the foreign body response to particulate debris in a rabbit model. Journal of Applied Biomaterials, (4); 127-134:1993.
- Bone Morphogenic Proteins from the lab to the operating room. Presented at the 2007 Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting.
- Zone I flexor tendon repair. A vascular, histological, and biomechanical evaluation. Poster presentation at the 2004 meeting for the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, New York, New York.
- Flexor digitorum profundus tendon to bone repair. Presented at the 2004 annual meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, San Francisco, California.
- Vascularized fibular grafts for massive segmental bone loss in the forearm. Presented at the 2000 Annual Tennessee Orthopaedic Society meeting, Hot Springs, Virginia.
- Prefabrication of a vascularized bone graft using hydroxyapatite coral. Presented at the 2001 Annual Southern Orthopaedic Society meeting, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.
- 2001,2002 Music City Marathon: Medical volunteer – team captain
- 2000, 1998 Bell South Senior Classic, Opryland: Medical volunteer/organizer
- 1996 Olympic Games: Medical volunteer
- Habitat for Humanity, Atlanta, Georgia
- Central Health Clinic, Atlanta, Georgia
- Georgia Special Olympics
- Mercy Mobile Health Care, Atlanta, Georgia
- Emory Medical Students Teaching AIDS
Selected Work Experience
- Stanley Kaplan: MCAT Course Instructor (1/93-5/95)
- Parker Hannifin Corporation, Compumotor Division (6/90-10/91).
Applications/Design engineer for industrial automation systems
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, Ski Team: Assistant Coach (1991 and 1992).
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, Ski Class Instructor (Winters of 1987, 1988, and 1989).
Hobbies and Special Interest
Golf, music, mountain biking, snow skiing, and woodworking