Samuel N. Crosby, MD
Orthopedic Surgery of the Hand and Upper Extremity
Dr. Samuel N. Crosby specializes in orthopedic surgery of the upper extremity for both adult and pediatric patients. Dr. Crosby graduated from the University of Virginia, and Vanderbilt University Medical School. He completed his orthopedic surgery residency at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, followed by a fellowship at the Harvard Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship. There he worked at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, the Massachusetts General Hospital and Boston Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Crosby’s specialties include:
- Sports related injuries to the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder
- Arthroscopic shoulder surgery (including rotator cuff and instability)
- Nerve compression syndromes (carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel)
- Congenital Hand Deformities
- Adult and Pediatric fractures of the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder
- Arthritis of the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder
- Joint replacement of the shoulder and elbow
- Dupuytren’s Contracture treatment (injections, needle aponeurotomy and open surgery)
- Trigger fingers
- Ganglion cysts
- Work-related injuries
Harvard/Brigham and Women’s Hospital – Boston, MA
Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship Program
August 2014- July 2015
Vanderbilt University Medical Center – Nashville, TN
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine – Nashville, TN
Doctor of Medicine Degree
University of Virginia – Charlottesville, VA
B.A. in Echols Interdisciplinary with Distinction
Honors / Awards
- 2013 Resident Writers Award – Third Place American Journal of Orthopedics – given annually for best resident papers – sponsored by DePuy Synthes Institute
- 2013 Best Free Paper Award POSNA/IFPOS Annual Meeting, Toronto – Canada
- 2009 Hospital Award for Excellence, VUMC – awarded annually to one fourth year medical student for clinical performance during third and fourth year clerkships – voted on by chief residents of all services at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- 2009 Orthopaedic Clerkship Award, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- 2008 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Vanderbilt School of Medicine
- 2006 Microbes and Defense Academic Society, Vanderbilt School of Medicine
- 2006 McGraw Hill/Lange Book Award, Vanderbilt School of Medicine – awarded annually to two first year medical students for academic achievement
- 2005 Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society – University of Virginia Chapter
- 2005 Graduation with Distinction – University of Virginia
- 2001 Echols Scholar – University of Virginia
- 2012 Bayside Academy Athletic Hall of Fame, Daphne, AL
- 2001 Valedictorian – Bayside Academy, Daphne, AL
- 1998 Eagle Scout – Boy Scouts of America
State of Massachusetts Medical License
State of Tennessee Medical License
Professional Memberships and Societies
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (resident member)
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (candidate member)
- Tennessee Orthopaedic Society (resident member)
- Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Society (member)
- Crosby SN, Kim EJ, Koehler DM, Rohmiller MT, Mencio GA, Green NE, Lovejoy SA, Schoenecker JG, Martus JE. Twenty-year experience with rigid intramedullary nailing of skeletally immature femur fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96(13): 1080-1089. [PMID 24990973].
- Lee DH, Mignemi ME, Crosby SN. Fingertip Injuries: Update on Management. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2013; 21(12): 756-766. [PMID 24292932]
- Alamanda VK, Crosby SN, Mathis S, Archer KR, Terhune KP, Holt GE. Influence of resident education in correctly diagnosing extremity soft tissue sarcoma. Sarcoma. 2013:679323. [PMID 23710127]
- Crosby SN, Fletcher ND, Yap ER, Lee DH. The mechanical stability of extra-articular distal radius fractures with respect to the number of screws securing the distal fragment. J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38(6): 1097-1105. [PMID 2370700]
- Crosby SN, Alamanda VK, Weikert DR, Holt GE. Avoiding Unplanned Resection of Wrist Sarcomas Mistaken for Ganglion Cysts: an algorithm for the evaluation of dorsal wrist masses. Am J Orthop. 2013; 42(9): 401-406. [PMID 24078963]
- Crosby SN, Snoddy MC, Atkinson CA, Weikert DR. Upper extremity myonecrosis due to Edwardsiella tarda resulting in transhumeral amputation: A case report. J Hand Surg Am. 2013; 38(1): 129-132. [PMID23200948].
- Behnke NK, Crosby SN, Stutz CM, Holt GE. Periscapular amputation as treatment for brachial plexopathy secondary to recurrent breast carcinoma: A case series and review of the literature. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013; 39(12): 1325-1331. [PMID 24176674]
- Alamanda VK, Crosby SN, Archer KR, Song Y, Schwartz HS, Holt GE. Amputation for extremity soft tissue sarcoma does not increase overall survival: A retrospective cohort study. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2012; 38(12):1178-1183. [PMID 22985713].
- Alamanda VK, Crosby SN, Archer KR, Song Y, Schwartz HS, Holt GE. Predictors and Clinical significance of local recurrence in extremity soft tissue sarcoma. Acta Oncol. 2013; 52(4): 793-802. [PMID 22877243].
- Alamanda VK, Crosby SN, Archer KR, Song Y, Schwartz HS, Holt GE. Primary excision compared with re-excision of extremity soft tissue sarcomas – is anything new. J Surg Onc. 2012; 105(7): 662-7. [PMID 22213171].
- Crosby SN, Polkowski GG, Schwartz HS, Shinar AA, Holt GE. Metal-backed versus all-polyethylene tibias in megaprostheses of the distal femur. J Arthroplasty. 2011; 26(3): 451-7. [PMID 20334995].
- Butler MA, Holt GE, Crosby SN, Weikert DR. Late Posterior Interosseous Nerve Palsy Associated with Loosening of Radial Head Implant. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008; 18(6): e17-21. [PMID 19487131].
- Damp JB, Zhao DX, Greelish JP, Day GF, Paris CG, Corr BR, Crosby SN, Chrispin JC, Jiramongkolchai KJ, Byrne JG. Intra-Operative Completion Angiography after CABG with Immediate Percutaneous or Surgical Revision of Defects: One Year Experience from the Vanderbilt Hybrid Catheterization and Operating Room. Circulation. 2006 Vol. 114:18 (Suppl II) II 429-430.
- Boudoulas KD, Stahlman MA, Byrne JG, Ahmad RM, Greelish JP, Day GF, Paris CG, Jiramongkolchai KJ, Corr BR, Crosby SN, Chrispin JC, Zhao DX. “One Stop” Hybrid Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) with Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) vs. Standard CABG. Circulation. 2006 Vol. 114:18 (Suppl II) II 507.
- Crosby SN, Sethi MK, Obremskey WT. Management of knee dislocations. In Sethi MK, Jahangir AA, Obremskey WT (Eds.) (2011). Orthopaedic Traumatology: An Evidence Based Approach. New York, NY: Springer.
- Crosby SN, Devers BN, Lee DH. Metacarpal Fractures. In Seitz WH (Ed.) (2013). Fractures and Dislocations of the Hand and Fingers. Rosemont, IL: ASSH Electronic Textbook [Revisions submitted/In press].
Presentations / Posters
- Crosby SN, Koehler DM, Mencio GA, Schoenecker JG, Martus JE. Twenty-year experience with rigid intramedullary nailing of skeletally immature femur fractures.
Podium Presentation: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Annual meeting – Chicago, IL: 3/21/13
Podium Presentation: Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) Annual meeting – Toronto, ON, Canada : 5/2/213
Winner of Best Free Paper Award at Meeting
Crosby SN, Fletcher ND, Yap ER, Lee DH. Biomechanical Analysis of Distal Locking Screw Configuration in Volar Locked Plating of the Distal Radius.
Podium Presentation: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Annual meeting – Chicago, IL: 3/22/13
Podium Presentation: Tennessee Orthopaedic Society – Birmingham, AL: 9/28/12
Crosby SN, Alamanda VK, Weikert DR, Holt GE. Avoiding Unplanned Resection of Wrist Sarcomas Mistaken for Ganglion Cysts: an algorithm for the evaluation of dorsal wrist masses.
Podium Presentation: American Society for Surgery of the Hand: Adrian E. Flatt Residents and Fellows conference – Chicago, IL: 9/5/12
Crosby SN, Polkowski GP, Butler MA, Ramo BS, Holt GE. Metal-backed vs. all-polyethylene tibial base plates in megaprosthetic reconstruction of the knee.
Podium Presentation: Musculoskeletal Tumor Society Annual Meeting – Phoenix, AZ: 11/7/08
Crosby SN, Edgeworth ML, Egan KM, Thompson RC. Incidence, Radiographic, and Clinicopathological Features of Atypical Meningioma: A 7-year Experience.
Poster: Society for Neuro-oncology Annual Meeting – Dallas, TX: 11/17/07
Poster: VUMC Annual Graduate Research Forum – Nashville, TN: 4/23/08
Crosby SN, Zhao DX, Byrne JG. Bleeding Effects of the “Hybrid” Approach to Coronary Artery Revascularization.
Poster: VUMC Annual Graduate Research Forum – Nashville, TN: 4/20/07
Poster: Vanderbilt Medical School Emphasis Forum – Nashville, TN: 4/27/07
Languages: proficient in Spanish
Hobbies: running, fishing, golf, spending time with family