A. Brian Thomson, MD
Orthopedic Surgery of the Foot and Ankle
Dr. Brian Thomson specializes in orthopedic surgery of the foot and ankle. Dr. Thomson graduated from the University of Kentucky, University of Kentucky School of Medicine and then completed his orthopedic surgery residency at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He then completed a Fellowship in Foot and Ankle Reconstruction at the Barnes and Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis in 2006. Since then he has been treating patients at Vanderbilt Medical Center’s Orthopaedic Institute, has been an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and has been the Director of the Foot and Ankle Center at Vanderbilt Medical Center.
Dr. Thomson’s specialties include:
- Orthopedic Injuries of the Foot and Ankle
- Sports Medicine injuries of the Foot and Ankle
- Arthritis of the Foot and Ankle
- Heel Pain
- Joint Replacement of the Ankle
- Tendon Disorders
- Deformities of the Foot and Ankle
- Post-Traumatic reconstruction of the Foot and Ankle
- Ankle Instability or Pain
- Avascular Necrosis and Osteochondral Defects of the Talus
- Hammertoes and Clawtoes
University of Kentucky
B.S., Agricultural Biotechnology, May, 1995, Lexington, KY.
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
M.D., May, 2000, Lexington, KY.
Internship: General Surgery
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Department of General Surgery, July, 2000-June, 2001, Nashville, TN.
Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Department of Orthopaedics, July, 2001-June, 2005, Nashville, TN.
Fellowship: Foot and Ankle Surgery
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Department of Orthopaedics, Aug., 2005-July, 2006, St. Louis, MO.
Academic and Medical Experience
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
August 2006 – November 2015
Director of the Foot and Ankle Center,
Vanderbilt University Medical Ctr.,
August 2006- November 2015.
Research Assistant to Arthur G. Hunt, Ph.D.,
Assistant Professor of Plant Molecular Biology,
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY.
May 1994-May, 1996,
Scholarly Honors and Awards
- Kenneth D. Johnson, MD Resident Teaching Award, June, 2009
- Administrative Chief Resident, Department of Orthopaedics, 2004-2005
- Emerging Leaders Program, AOA National Meeting, Boston, MA, June, 2004
- Albert B. Chandler Award, 2000
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1999
- Academic Excellence Scholarship, 1998-2000
- Chambers Scholarship, 1997-1998
Licensure and Certification
A. Licensure Tennessee #38317
B. Certification ABOS Part 1 exam- passed, July, 2005
ABOS Part 2 exam- passed, July, 2008
USMLE Step 1- passed, June, 1998
USMLE Step 2- passed, November, 1999
USMLE Step 3- passed, September, 2002
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- AOFAS Membership Committee, 2011-present
- Surgical MEOC (Medical Economics and Outcomes Committee) at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2012-2014
- Chair of Ortho-biologic Subcommittee of MEOC, 2013
- Clinical Systems 2.0 Core Team Committee at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2015
- Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Institute Resident Education Committee Member, 2006-2015
- Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Institute Pilot Grant Funding Committee Member, 2013-2015
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Das Gupta, J., Li, Q., Thomson, A.B., Hunt, A.G. CHARACTERIZATION OF A NOVEL PLANT POLY(A) POLYMERASE. Plant Science. 1995; 110(2), pp. 215-226.
- Das Gupta, J., Li, Q., Thomson, A.B., Hunt, A.G. CHARACTERIZATION OF A CDNA ENCODING A NOVEL PLANT POLY(A) POLYMERASE. Plant Molecular Biology. 1998; 37(4): pp. 729-734.
- Holt, G.E., Thomson, A.B., Griffin, A.M., Bell, R., Wunder, J., Rougraff, B., and
- Schwartz, H.S. MULTIFOCALITY AND MULTIFOCAL POST-RADIATION SARCOMAS. Clinical Orthropaedics and Related Research. 2006; 450, pp. 67-75.
- Thomson, A.B., Driver, R., Kregor, P.J., and Obremskey, W.T. LONG-TERM FUNCTIONAL OUTCOMES AFTER INTRA-ARTICULAR DISTAL FEMUR FRACTURES: ORIF VERSUS RETROGRADE INTRAMEDULLARY NAILING. Orthopedics. 2008; 31 (8): pp. 748-750.
- Magnussen, R., Dunn, W.R., and Thomson, A.B. NONOPERATIVE TREATMENT OF MIDPORTION ACHILLES TENDONOPATHY: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2009; 19 (1): pp. 54-64.
- DeAngelis, J.P., Wilson, K.M., Cox, C.L., Diamond, A.B., and Thomson, A.B. ACHILLES TENDON RUPTURE IN ATHLETES. Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances. 2009; 18 (3): pp. 115-121.
- Mackey, R.B., Thomson, A.B., Kwon, O., Mueller, M.J., and Johnson, J.E. THE MODIFIED OBLIQUE KELLER CAPSULAR INTERPOSITIONAL ARTHROPLASTY FOR HALLUX RIGIDUS. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. 2010; 91 (10): pp. 1938-1946.
- Criswell, B.J., Douglas, K., Naik, R., and Thomson, A.B. HIGH REVISION AND REOPERATION RATES USING THE AGILITY TOTAL ANKLE SYSTEM. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2012 Jul; 470(7): 1980-6.
- DiGiovanni, C.W., Foot and Ankle Study Group (Thomson, A.B., Collaborator). RECOMBINANT HUMAN PLATELET-DERIVED GROWTH FACTOR-BB AND BETA-TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE (rhPDGF-BB/Beta-TCP): AN ALTERNATIVE TO AUTOGENOUS BONE GRAFT. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. 2013; 95 (13): 1184-1192.
Publications in non Peer-Reviewed Journals-
- Thomson, A.B., Yu, J.R., and Johnson, J.E. DOUBLE BONE-BLOCK ARTHRODESIS
- FOR THE CORRECTION OF A DORSAL BUNION DEFORMITY. Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2007; 6 (3): pp. 170-174.
- Thomson, A.B. and Johnson, J.E.,CHARCOT NEUROARTHROPATHY OF THE FOOT: SURGICAL ASPECTS, LEVIN & ONEAL’S THE DIABETIC FOOT, 7th Edition. Mosby, St. Louis, MO, Aug, 2007.
- Foot and Ankle Section Co-Editor of AAOS COMPREHENSIVE ORTHOPAEDIC REVIEW 2, Aug, 2014.
Current Research Projects
- Thomson, A.B., McCullough, K., Malchow, R., NEUROPATHIC COMPLICATIONS AFTER FOOT AND ANKLE SURGERY WITH REGIONAL ANESHTESIA.
- Winters, N., Thomson, A.B., and Jordanov, M., TENOSYNOVIAL CHONDROMATOSIS OF THE FLEXOR HALLUCIS LONGUS IN A 17 YEAR OLD GIRL. Accepted to Pediatric Radiology 2015.
- Funk, S., Gallagher, B., and Thomson, A.B., CHRONIC TIBIALIS ANTERIOR TENDON REPAIR: A NEW TECHNIQUE UTILIZING ENDOBUTTON. Accepted to Orthopaedics 2015.
Presentations: Regional and Local Meetings
- Development of Pseudotumors after Total Joint Arthroplasty. Annual Meeting of Tennessee and Georgia Orthopaedic Societies, October, 2002, Sea Island, GA.
- Long-term Outcomes after Intra-articular Distal Femur Fractures. Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting, May 2005, SanDestin, FL.
- Plantar Fasciitis: Current Concepts in Treatment. Mid South Worker’s Compensation Annual Meeting, November, 2006, Nashville, TN.
- Calcaneus Fractures: Treatment and Late Reconstruction. Medical Management of the Injured Worker Annual Conference, March, 2007, Nashville, TN.
- Syndesmosis Injuries. Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting, April, 2008, San Antonio, TX.
- Plantar Fasciitis: Clinical Use of Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy. 38th Annual Meeting of the Southeast Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine, February, 2010, Greenville, SC.
- What’s New in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Society Annual Meeting, May, 2011, Destin, FL.
- Evidence Based Medicine: Achilles Tendon Ruptures. Southeastern Foot Club Meeting, May 2011, Mobile, AL.
- Foot and Ankle work related injuries. Medical Management of the Injured Worker Annual Conference, April 2013, Franklin, TN.
Poster Presentations: National Meetings
- Multifocality and Post-Radiation Sarcomas. The Society of Surgical Oncology’s 57th Annual Cancer Symposium, March 2004, New York, NY
- Huang TT, Block JJ, Holt GE, Thomson AB, and Schwartz HS. Multifocality in Post-Radiation Sarcomas. Educational Exhibit for the 2004 Radiologic Society of North America Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois.